The purpose of this study is to explain the managerial ideas in Xunzi’s thinking to modern world, and discuss the potential adaptability of his thoughts in modern organizational management, according to the conclusion of which we may proceed with offering some management suggestions for those enterprises aiming at using his managerial wisdom in the management of their network. Based on the analyzed results, this research has a few conclusions as follows:
A. The modern thoughts from Xunzi’s managerial thinking
1. “Establish a country based on the land measured, manage the crowd based on their benefits gained, and distribute workload based on human resources available.” – the idea of planning ahead with a focus on strategic management.
2. “Delegate staff accordingly,” “authorization,” – the idea of organization with a focus on cooperation and authorization.
3. “What matters in an individual is his moderation of characteristics, “action speaks louder than words,” – the idea of human resources with a focus on workers’ personality and virtue.
4. “Herd your subjects,” “love your subjects,” – the idea of motivation with a focus on taking care of workers’ living environment and attending staff at all costs.
5. “The adoption of both etiquette and regulation,” the execution of both rewarding and punishing,” “obedience-oriented” – the idea of control with a focus on regulations.
6. “Be persuasive by being virtuous,” “be stern by preaching morals,” –the idea of leadership with a focus on leaders’ morality.
B. The adaptability of Xunzi’s managerial thinking in modern organizational management in the industry
The idea of Xunzi’s thoughts is such: establish a country based on the land measured, manage the crowd based on their benefits gained, and distribute workload based on human resources available. This is highly correlated with the modern focus on the abilities of leadership strategies and trend analysis in an organization nowadays. The organizational idea of “separation” in Xunzi’s thinking is also similar to the highlight of departmental cooperation and authorization of managerial heads in an organization nowadays. As well, upon the thoughts of human resource, his ideas that “what matters in an individual is his moderation of characteristics,” and that “action speaks louder than words,” are matching the ideas of modern world enterprise to use an individual according to his morality and his power of execution. As to the idea of motivation Xunzi’s ideas of “herd your subjects,” and “love your subjects,” are corresponding to those of modern industries to emphasize on employees’ life, treasure a talent at all costs, and be considerate of staff. What are also comparable to modern enterprises’ standard operational procedure, scientific on the punishment and reward, and the focus on obedience are his managerial ideas of “etiquette and laws”, “the execution of both rewarding and punishing,” and “obedience is a virtue.” Last but not least, Xunzi’s leadership thinking matches that of modern industries, with a focus on leader’s virtue and the trend of power leadership.