This study aims at discussing the knowledge ideology of A version elementary social studies textbooks which was published between 2010 and 2011 school year, including the teaching materials relating to social studies in life curriculum textbooks. This research adopts the methods of content analysis. In this study, the knowledge ideology of elementary social studies textbooks was divided into three positions and six orientations, ,and namely as the followings: (1) objectivity position ideal heuristic orientation; (2) objectivity position empirical study orientation; (3) transaction position discipline cognitive process orientation; (4) transaction position social practicality orientation; (5) transformation position self-perception orientation;(6)transformation position social action orientation. The content of this thesis puts emphasis on the following points: The first point is the distribution of various types of the knowledge ideology. The second point is the presence of various types of the knowledge ideology in textbooks . The conlusions and findings of this study are as follows:
(1) A full set of textbooks overall, the most emphasis is put on the objectivity position, then comes the transaction position. The transformation position has the lowest percentage. In aspect of orientation, the empirical study orientation is the main orientation, the social practicality orientation is the second, the self-perception orientation and the discipline cognitive process orientation are in third place, while the social action orientation and the ideal heuristic orientation have the lowest percentage.
(2) The ideal heuristic orientation appears the least, only 3.6% of the total proportion. It concentrate on the history materials in stage three.
(3) The empirical study orientation makes up 41.8% of the total proportion, being the main knowledge ideology of A version textbooks. The materals of empirical study orientation provide sensory experience for students to accept systematic discipline knowledge in textbooks.
(4) The discipline cognitive process orientation appears in the textbooks or units about Taiwan and hometown. Design subsidiary small unit to guide procedural knowledge. Besides,the essay and lessons of A version textbooks include inquiry activities.
(5) The frequency distribution Percentage of social practicality orientation is 22.6%. The percentage is second to the empirical study orientation. The feature is that issues are introduced in unit of discipline concept.
(6) Most of self-perception orientation materals are attached to discipline concept unit in point-like style. the learning content leads students to express their feelings and love of emotion, or through the learning content to enhance student understanding of their own.
(7) The frequency distribution Percentage of social action orientation is 5.0%. The social action orientation activities include conveying message, paticipating in environment protection activities, knowing the social action model, proposesing own social activities.