Owing to the phenomena of birthrate decline and reduced classes, the reuse of the vacant school space has become a significant educational policy. This study aims to investigate the patterns, the effects and the difficulties of the reuse of vacant school space as well as the patterns of the future reuse of vacant school space at seven elementary schools in New Taipei City, due to the fact that the birthrate decline leads to the reduced classes and the increase of the vacant school space.
This study, a qualitative study, includes semi-structured interviews and case studies. According to the interview outline from related literature, the researcher interviews 20 persons from seven schools performing the reuse of the vacant school space, inclusive of four principals, six general directors, three heads of service, five companies renting vacant school space, and two clerks of the educational authorities.
After the gathering and mutual authentication of the multiple sources of evidence as well as the investigation, induction, and summarization of the data, the conclusions are as follows.
1. Because of fewer children and the reduced classes,the
vacant school space increases.
2. The school gives the priority of the reuse of the vacant
school space to the school itself, and then to the
3. The problems encountered by the schools performing the
reuse of the vacant school space can be solved and
changed into helpful advice.
4. The companies are willing to rent and re-rent the vacant
school space, and the schools love the companies to do
5. The schools can gather the human resources as well as
the material resources from the community, develop the
school characteristics, and create future ones.
Based on the conclusions of this study, the educational authorities, the schools,and the companies renting the vacant school space provide some suggestions to the educational authorities, other schools, other companies, and future researchers of the title of thesis. The suggestions are as follows.
1. The educational authorities set the evaluation system of
2. The educational authorities actively train the
specialists of the reuse of vacant school space.
3. The easing of the regulations of reuse of vacant school
space can facilitate the expansion of processing.
4. The schools should control the sum of the vacant school
space and make plans and evaluation of reusing the
vacant school space.
5. The schools should actively train and employ the
professional teachers of spatial planning to meet the
6. The schools should actively lease out the vacant school
space to increase economic benefits.
7. The schools should set up strategic alliances to gather
usable human and material resources.
8. The renters should learn more about community culture of
the schools to reduce the risk.
9. The renters should improve their cooperative
relationship with the schools by suitable communication.
10.The renters should promote teachers’specialty to
increase their competitiveness.