This study aimed to discuss the progress of Hope Kindergarten, New Taipei City, participating in inclusive preschool education experimental program, and the educational objective, courses and teaching, self-examination, difficult positions, and solutions of inclusive preschool education were executed, so as to construct a feasible process for inclusive preschool education.
The study subjects were the teachers, ordinary children, children with special need and their parents of Hope Kindergarten.
To understand the study subjects thoroughly, this study made use of qualitative research, namely narrative inquiry was the study method, and document analysis, interview, and participation observation were the study skills. 15 interviews were carried out with the teachers and parents, eight participation observations were done, and data such as relevant documents, interview records, observation records, and self-examination were analyzed.
This is an eight-year story of Hope Kindergarten. Hopefully, the hearts, stories, and wisdom of teachers could be found in the sequence of ideas and included into “life community”, and a clear way that guided the children with special needs and their families could also be found.
During the investigation, the difficult positions and solutions that the teachers encountered could be seen everywhere, deeper self-examination and professional knowledge of the teachers were developed everywhere, and the joy, beauty, and love that happened between the parents, teachers, and students of Hope Kindergarten were discovered. The following conclusions are obtained accordingly:
1. The major inclusive educational objective and main course idea are established – experiencing, accepting, and cooperating.
2. Inclusive educational programs and teaching objectives were the good social interaction.
3. “Saying hello” and warm-up activities before inclusive educational programs played a decisive role.
4. Children with special needs and ordinary children give support to each others, grow up together, learn from each other, and love each other.
5. Teachers’ professional knowledge and professional accomplishments towards inclusive education were promoted.
6. Ordinary children and their parents accepted the children with special needs together, while the parents of the children with special needs got rid of the sadness and participated positively.
7. The characteristics of the kindergarten are very clear, the overall inclusive atmosphere is getting better, but difficult positions still exist.
This study proposed concrete and feasible progress and suggestions according to the above-mentioned conclusions, providing reference regarding execution and promotion of inclusive preschool education for Hope Kindergarten, kindergartens that would like to participate in inclusive preschool education, and educational executive departments. Hopefully, this study could provide some benefits for the execution and promotion of inclusive preschool education.