Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Other Titles: ||A study on the development of special collections of women and gender's studies research centers of universities in Taiwan|
|Authors: ||鄭維莉;Cheng, Wei-li|
|Keywords: ||婦女研究;性別研究;婦女研究室;性別研究室;婦女特藏;館藏發展;灰色文獻;Women Studies;Gender Studies;Women Studies Research Center;Gender Studies Research Center;Collection Development;Grey Literature|
|Issue Date: ||2010-01-11 05:09:00 (UTC+8)|
This research aims to investigate the situation of collection development about women and gender’s studies research centers in Taiwan universities and possibility of cooperation between research centers. According to literature review, it can be realized characteristics of the women resources, and the related research from many famous libraries and information centers in Taiwan and foreigner countries which are collected women resources. In order to understand the developing situation, features of collections and management state of women and gender’s studies research centers in Taiwan’s universities, this study was figured out via literature analysis and depth interviews. According to the investigation and research results, I drew some conclusions and proposed my personal suggestions of collecting and organizing collections for these organizations.
The research adopted depth interview ten managers of nine women and gender’s studies research centers of universities. The results of the research are as the following:
1. In Taiwan, women and gender’s studies research centers of universities have high development at later period of the 1990’s. Those research centers are mainly concentrated toward the metropolitan centers in northern Taiwan, and the rank of developing trend is northern, southern, and middle.
2. The incentive of establishing women and gender’s studies research centers always relates to conveners’ research fields, but also have others facts.
3. Although women and gender’s studies research centers subordinate to various systems, but their human resource and funds must be raised by themselves. There is no direct relation between systems and the source of the funds.
4. Women and gender’s studies research centers mainly focus on teaching and researches. Other activities such as public service, promotion, publication and resources reservation should be deliberated on the limited funds. Not all these issues can be fulfilled as respected.
5. Within these nine women and gender’s studies research centers, six centers build their collections in their centers and three centers have some of their collections in their pertaining university libraries. Besides, one center of these nine research centers has its own collection in its center and also set up special area in its pertaining university library.
6. Collections of women and gender’s studies research centers have their similarities and dissimilarities, and the types of resource and the phases of subjects are various. Collection use mainly supplies for teaching and research.
7. Women and gender’s studies research centers all do not have real collection development policy.
8. The classification methods are different among these women and gender’s studies research centers, and the print catalog is the main searching source. Three of nine research centers have automatic systems for collection retrieval.
9. The main service of women and gender’s studies research centers is book loan in those universities.
10. Women and gender’s studies research centers’ development barriers to the lack of fund and human resource.
11. Women and gender’s studies research centers unfamiliar with each other, and it influences their collaborating relationship in the future.
According to the research above, my suggestions are as following:
1. Women and gender’s studies research centers in universities:
(1) Make collection development policies appropriate for women and gender’s studies research centers.
(2) Enhance resource organization and update collection information in women and gender’s studies research centers’ websites.
(3) Make special resources selections and metadata of women and gender’s studies to set up subject united catalog.
(4) Build up collection features of women and gender separately to use as the base of resources collaboration in the future.
(5) Make giving and deposit collection policies for special resources.
2. Academic libraries which collect women and gender’s special collection or are partnership with women and gender’s studies research centers:
(1) Offer book exhibitions about theme of women and gender.
(2) Draw up online subject catalog of women’s and gender.
(3) Enhance awareness of special women and gender’s documental resources.
|Appears in Collections:||[資訊與圖書館學系暨研究所] 學位論文|
All items in 機構典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.