A study on the performance appraisal system and organizational performance of enterprises in Taiwan
|作者: ||廖貴珍;Liao, Kuei-chen|
|關鍵詞: ||外派人員;績效評估;組織績效;平衡計分卡;Staffs dispatched overseas;Achievement evaluation;Organization achievement;Balanced Score Card (BSC)|
|上傳時間: ||2010-01-11 03:06:43 (UTC+8)|
To comply with the demand of globalization and operation management of overseas affiliates, the multi-national corporations are consequently in need of numerous staffs to reside in the overseas affiliates. Most of them have played the key roles to lead the corporations on a successful road to face the complicate competition internationally. Their performance is thus to concern the success of the overseas affiliates. As a result, it is very important to manage efficiently those staffs to reside in the overseas affiliates.
Performance appraisal is to measure the contribution of personal or group to their organization including their capability, technology, attitude, ambition and method. In other word, the total value of personal and group equal to the overall organizational performance and also the benefit/value created by the organization. A better performance appraisal system could urge the organization to reach its target.
The organizational performance is drawn, according to the short, medium and long term developing target of a organization, to set up a concrete control points for organization resource management and also to evaluate the performance periodically. Furthermore, the performance appraisal system could be utilized to provide a reference for the organization and employee’s working target and adjustment; an improvement plan for rewarding and capability. Organizational performance is in fact to set up the strategy and goal of organization development. In view of the above, the performance appraisal system is the major strategic tool for multinational corporations to adjust their organizational performance and instruct the expatriate staffs in the overseas affiliates.
Balanced Score Card (BSC) is to urge the organization’s prospect and strategy to transform to a lock step system of performance measurement. It also emphasizes to consider four sides including financial, customer, internal process and learning/growing. By way of establishing and running of BSC, the enterprises could use the performance appraisal system for organization and employees to consider both financial and non-financial performance to achieve the final target of a better competition status.
According to this investigation, we understood the effect what performance appraisal system for those expatriate staffs made to the enterprise’s competition internationally and integral target of organization. After reviewing the literature, articles on the news and magazine to draw up the framework of performance appraisal of expatriate staffs and organization performance. And then, cases studied by in-depth interview. Finally, to submit the conclusion and management implication as below:
1. The first step of performance appraisal system is to ascertain the guidance for the goal. The organizational performance is to establish the strategy/goal of organization development. The goal means to get a common consensus but not a compromise between employer/employees to reach the common goal in a short time.
2. A clear/open relation between performance appraisal system and reward system for those expatriate staffs will be more effective to motivation.
3. To take the advantage, the organization could create a support culture of performance appraisal and also to get the support from the employees
4. To emphasize the career and returning planning of expatriate staffs to match the organizational future plan. Finally, the organization can get a competitive advantage on the global market.
5. The organization could provide those expatriate staffs a chance for continuous studying. It not only encourages the staffs to upgrade their abilities but also to support the organization’s long-term survive.
6. The organization could encourage the family to move with those expatriate staffs with a complete package of allowance in daily life. It helps the staffs to work without worrying their families and to get a win-win between the employee and the organization.
7. The organization could adjust the control and audit system to avoid the neglect in different locations. However, the branch offices with similar operation type could be audited under the same standard. To utilize the overall organizational performance with reward system, it could then get a better effectiveness of management control.