Character education includes moral education and citizen''s education. Moral education emphasizes social ethics topic and judged by good and evil. Citizen’s education lays stress on training citizenship as honest, justness, care and introspection. The goal for elementary education in Taiwan regards life education and character education as the “center “and thus train and educate students to achieve balanced development. However, under the high pressure of entrance examinations and academic competitions, character education failed to integrate with school teaching and establishing its key position. As a result, the original educational objective for character education is not realized.
Taking schools of most advanced countries as example, such as America, Canada, Japan, they all promote relevant policy about character education, teach through whole school activity practice completely, emphasize parents and community participation and partnership, in order to promote character to educate and pursue effectively. The elementary school is the most important stage for students to establish good character. The students are not only having intellectual ability and knowledge, but also the molding of good character and habit.
Taipei is the nation capital. The emphasis of character education can be observed in topic of the relevant meeting, such as ” The Public Forum of Educational Development of The City of Taipei of Grinding Trader”. People in the meeting all agreed to urge the city education authority to focus on student''s character development. In addition, Ministry of Education also announced the “Character Education Promotion Scheme“ in September of 2004 that expects to achieve the actualization of character education in schools.
The purpose of this research is to investigate the implementation of character education of Taipei elementary schools in terms of curriculum types, teaching methods, assessment and evaluation, teaching resources and difficulty and challenges. It is hoped that through this research, the suggestions for improving character education can serve better reference for elementary schools. The study shows:
1. The curriculum type of character education in Taipei primary schools is mainly “explicit curriculum”.
2. The teaching method of character education in Taipei primary schools is mainly the moral teaching methods with theoretical foundation and multiple teaching methods which incorporate with informal curriculum.
3. The teaching resource of character education in Taipei primary schools is mainly from the teaching resource of schools complemented with parents and community resources.
4. The assessment and evaluation techniques of character education in Taipei primary schools are mainly teacher interviewing students and students’ self- evaluation.
5. The difficulties and challenges of character education in Taipei primary schools are mainly associated with the problems of schools, families and society at large.
6. The curriculum type, teaching method, teaching resource, assessment and evaluation of character education in Taipei primary schools are significantly related to each other.