The present study is to investigate the current status of Hakka instruction in Taipei county and then to investigate the Hakka instruction policy. The study frame and purposes were based on the relative literature reviewing. The purposes of the study were (1) to investigate the current status of Hakka instruction policy, (2) to analyze the factors related to executing Hakka instruction policy, (3) to investigate the current status and problems of Hakka instruction in Taipei county, and (4) to propose promoting further native Taiwanese language policy based on the above analyses.
The questionnaire was adopted as the main research tool of the present study. The public elementary schools executing Hakka instruction in 93 school year were the accessible population, and the stratified random sampling was adopted for sampling. The in-depth interview was adopted as the minor research tool.
According to the study finding, the results of the present study were as follows：
1. As a whole, the effect of Hakka instruction in Taipei county on curriculum, instruction, evaluation, materials, teachers and supplementary measures was inadequate.
2. The situation of opening Hakka class was unsatisfactory, and the main reason was the students’ low willingness of attending Hakka class and the supplementary shortness of the Hakka teachers.
3. The supplementary measures of Hakka instruction provided by the government were conducive to the promoting of Hakka instruction such as reducing the students in each class, raising the teachers’ hour fee etc.
4. In order to consider the students’ learning right, the schools arranged the period for teaching, the flexible class hour and supplementary teaching hour.
5. According to the students’ abilities of Hakka, they were divided into several classes. It was difficult to combine the students from different schools.
6. The students were attractive by the active Hakka teaching and multi-assessment, but the students couldn’t display what they learned in the daily life.
7. Hakka instruction depended on the supportive teachers. The formal Hakka teachers were unsatisfactory.
8. The teachers’ professional abilities were unsatisfactory. They were not familiar with spelling system, and they were afraid of teaching Hakka and even not willing to teaching Hakka.
9. The attendance of professional study would affect the effect of Hakka teaching.
10. The materials were form the different bookshops. The content didn’t combine with the local characteristics and students’ daily lives.
According to the results, the suggestions of the present study were as follows：
1. The government needed to (1) put Hakka instruction policy into effect culturally, (2) promote Hakka instruction policy flexibly, (3) develop teachers training, and (4) provide the supplementary measures.
2. The schools needed to (1) strengthen teaching supportive system, (2) raise the teachers’ professional abilities, (3) build the language learning environment, (4) cooperate with other schools, and (5) encourage to develop the materials.
3. The parents needed to (1) provide opportunities of conversion, (2) strengthen the identification of Hakka.
4. The suggestions for the further study were：(1) for research object, to investigate the students and parents, (2) for methodology, to strengthen the connection of native Taiwanese language and multi-culture, (3) for the research content, to expand the study range to evaluated the relative policy and plan.