English  |  正體中文  |  简体中文  |  Items with full text/Total items : 52355/87459 (60%)
Visitors : 9128507      Online Users : 230
RC Version 7.0 © Powered By DSPACE, MIT. Enhanced by NTU Library & TKU Library IR team.
Scope Tips:
  • please add "double quotation mark" for query phrases to get precise results
  • please goto advance search for comprehansive author search
  • Adv. Search
    HomeLoginUploadHelpAboutAdminister Goto mobile version
    Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://tkuir.lib.tku.edu.tw:8080/dspace/handle/987654321/109479

    Title: Seven-Day Intensity and Intensity Spread Predictions for Atlantic Tropical Cyclones
    Authors: Hsiao-Chung Tsai;Russell. L. Elsberry
    Keywords: Forecasting techniques
    Date: 2017-01-04
    Issue Date: 2017-02-21 02:11:13 (UTC+8)
    Publisher: American Meteorological Society
    Abstract: The extension of the Weighted Analog Intensity Atlantic (WAIA) prediction technique for Atlantic tropical cyclones (TCs) from 5 to 7 days revealed a need for two modifications. The first modification for the 7-day WAIA was to randomly select 70% of the TCs in the entire 2000–15 sample to be the training set and use the remaining 30% as the independent set. The second modification was to ensure that appropriate analogs were selected for ending storm situations such as landfall, postrecurvature, and nondevelopment or delayed intensification within the 7-day forecast interval. By simply constraining the analog selection such that the intensity at the last matching point with the target TC track does not exceed 50 kt (where 1 kt = 0.51 m s−1), an increasing overforecast bias with forecast interval was almost eliminated in both the training set and the independent set. With these two analog selection modifications, the mean absolute errors, and the correlation coefficients of the 7-day WAIA intensities with the verifying intensities, are essentially constant from 5 to 7 days, which establishes this WAIA as a viable technique for 7-day intensity forecasts of Atlantic TCs.
    Relation: Weather and Forecasting 32(1), p.141-147
    DOI: 10.1175/WAF-D-16-0165.1
    Appears in Collections:[水資源及環境工程學系暨研究所] 期刊論文

    Files in This Item:

    File Description SizeFormat
    Seven-Day Intensity and Intensity Spread Predictions for Atlantic Tropical Cyclones.pdf826KbAdobe PDF0View/Open

    All items in 機構典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

    DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2004  MIT &  Hewlett-Packard  /   Enhanced by   NTU Library & TKU Library IR teams. Copyright ©   - Feedback