Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Other Titles: ||The knowledge of global education in junior high school English textbooks : a content analysis|
|Authors: ||游家鳳;Yu, Chia-Feng|
|Keywords: ||全球教育知識;內容分析;國中英語教科書;global education knowledge;Content Analysis;junior high school English textbooks|
|Issue Date: ||2015-05-04 09:20:52 (UTC+8)|
In this study, the content analysis procedures were used to analyze the content knowledge related to global education presented in junior high school English textbooks.
Specifically speaking, the purposes of this study included (1) to identify the connotation of global education knowledge in junior high school English textbooks；(2) to analyze the connotation of global education knowledge presented in junior high school English textbooks；(3) to compare differences in the connotation of global education knowledge in different versions of junior high school English textbooks.
Through reviewing the relevant literature and consulting the experts’ recommendation, analysis items were identified for the connotation of global education knowledge in junior high school English textbooks. The analysis items consisted of three main categories, namely, "global systems", "global problems and issues", and "cross-cultural understanding", as well as fourteen subordinate categories, namely, "political system", "economic system", "information technology system", "world history", "world geography", "population issues", "eco-environmental issues", "food and poverty issues", "hygiene and health issues", "peace and conflict issues", "human rights and equality issues", "cultural understanding and difference", "religion and belief", and "educational learning". Because of manpower, material and time restrictions, only the junior high school English textbooks released in the 102 academic year were selected, including Kang Hsuan, Hanlin-Joy, and Nani, three versions for 7-9 graders, a total of eighteen books. The findings of this study are as follows：
1. Comparison of the amount of the global education knowledge among different versions：
(1) Hanlin-Joy accounted for the highest percentage, and Nani accounted for the least percentage.
(2) The category of “cross-cultural understanding” accounted for the highest percentage among the main categories in the three versions.
(3) The categories of “global problems and issues” and “global systems” accounted for the least percentage among the main categories in the three versions.
(4) The categories of “political system”, “world history”, “population issues” and “peace and conflict issues” accounted for the least percentage or even disappeared among the subordinate categories in the three versions.
2. Distribution of the global education knowledge of each book in the same version：
(1) For Kang Hsuan and Nani, Book III accounted for the highest percentage among the six books；For Hanlin-Joy, Book II accounted for the highest percentage among the six books.
(2) The global education knowledge was not distributed evenly among the six books in the three versions.
(3) Most books in the three versions emphasized on the introduction and presentation of the cultural dimension.
(4) The distribution of global education knowledge should be deepened and broadened among the six books in the three versions.
3. Substantive analysis of global education knowledge in the textbooks:
(1) A higher proportion of the global education knowledge presented in the textbooks was related to the United Kingdom and the United States.
(2) The global education knowledge presented in three versions had distinct features.
(3) The depth of global education knowledge was not sufficient to inspire students’ critical thinking.
(4) The topics selected in the textbooks were close to adolescents’ life, which could arouse students’ interest.
(5) The global education knowledge included many current issues of global concerns and new knowledge.
(6) In most cases, only brief introduction and features of exotic culture were presented for cultural understanding and difference.
|Appears in Collections:||[課程與教學研究所] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 機構典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.