This essay implements documentary analysis, historical analysis, and conclusive analysis, mainly discussing the influence of the interaction between U.S. and China on US Arms Sales to Taiwan. The timeline includes the presidencies of William Jefferson Bill Clinton, George Bush, and currently, Barack Obama. Through in-depth research and further analysis, it is concluded that the Arms Sales is indeed a miniature of the U.S-China competitive-cooperative model, and four major results are obtained, as follows.
1. The Arms Sales serves as the miniature of the strategic wrestling among the U.S, China, and Taiwan, by which the U.S indicates its “disagreeing” with China and declares its sovereign right over Taiwan.
2. The Arms Sales is also a consequence resulting from the to-and fro tussle between China and Taiwan, by which Taiwan reveals its determination of self-defense in case of China’s possible attempt to attack.
3. China’s responses to the listed Arm Sales items reflects its probe into the extent to which the U.S would tolerate with the relationship between China and Taiwan, interfering with the U.S’s dominant role, and challenging the degree of influence the U.S has over Taiwan. However, as time goes by, China’s responses are becoming a mere formality.
4. US Arms Sales to Taiwan started at the end of US. Aid, when the military relationship was still tense between China and Taiwan. However, as the relationship between two sides of the strait turned better, peaceful interaction took place, and China became stronger, the symbolic meaning of the Arms Sales has surpassed its substantial significance, and the impact of U.S on China-Taiwan relationship has faded, reflecting that the emergence of China has affected the U.S’s single supremacy.
The essay addresses the following suggestions for the authorities concerned regarding the Arms Sales issue:
1. The fact that US Arms Sales to Taiwan is gradually deteriorating in both aspects of quality and quantity should be taken seriously, and it is necessary to reevaluate the problems arising from the yea-after-year curtailment of National Defense budget.
2. As China tries to eliminate the stereotype built by the theory of China Threat with Peaceful Rise, it is worth considering for Taiwan to take advantage of this new image establishment and constrain China’s possible offense by signing peace agreements with other countries.